Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

ADHD and My Experiences with It

I've always been a bit weird child as long as I can remember. I never liked what the masses like. I was a nerd since I knew how to read. I never got along with the popular kids. I like the real characters. But aaanyway.. I knew something was wrong with me since I was 8. I couldn't read well. It was way to difficult. But with child's logic, I decided to hide it. It took me about two years to learn how to read properly. Once I found an interesting book, Star Wars pocket book, I started reading incredibly fast. I just figured I finally cought up with others.. At high school, I started to get t he reading problems again. What I learned later on that I got hypothyroidism at this point which made the problem worse. I considered going to the nurse with the thought of having Dyslexia. Well I didn't. Then more years later at University, I got the though again going to the nurse with Dyslexia since my reading ability was getting ridiculous. I could not concentrade on anything, I kept forgetting, skipping lines, words.. Noice somewhere, and I forgot everything I read in the last few minutes. At some point here I had read up on ADHD and realised this is me! I couldn't concentrade on anything. I couldn't remember anything more than few seconds untill something else came up. My cleaning was, start pick up things on the floor, "oh there's a fork, I'll take it to kitchen, what's my hair dryer doing in the kitchen, lemme take it to bathroom, oh clothes I'll put those away" and on it goes. I might remember the cleaning part days later when I saw a dust bunny hopping by. I took a test and I got 96 points on concentration and remembering. The limit to suggest ADHD was 75... Finally I made it to doctor's office. Few months after that I got an apointment to psychiatric doctor who leads the team on neuropsychology. At the first appointment he told me it sounded like I've got ADHD and I was so relieved. We made more appointments for diagnosis and treatments. Finally I was getting the help I needed.

At my last appointment, I got a Concerta trial. It is the most often used ADHD medication. It is a stimulant. Its effects last about 10 hours or is supposed to. I've taken it on two days now. Only thing I've notices I am always hungry. Which is sort of ironic since I was warned by the doctor and pharmacist it will most likely take away my appetite. I was already rooting for loosing a few kilos. No such luck. I've taken it on two days and I've noticed, I'm hungry, I get more tired in the evenings. This one could be from exhausting theatre. We're in the middle of a play season. We're just past the midway. I'm always exhausted when I get off stage. But this is more profound. I've fallen asleep more easily than normal. Often I've had trouble falling asleep when my brain won't shut off. It just keeps thinking about thousand things it doesn't need to. I haven't noticed anything in my school work. Well that's not entirely true. I noticed several mistakes in my own essay, which teacher in a few minutes pointed out to me. I've been reading that essay for weeks and not noticed anything.. Not sure if it was the paper form of the essay or the meds. Maybe it is helping since I am here writing this one. I showed some iniative!! and managed to start something. And now I am hungry again although I ate large breakfast about an hour ago. The meds are starting to kick in apparently.

I just thought I'd share my experiences with adult ADHD. It's been a process but an interesting one. I know I'm forgetting alot of stuff for this one but I'll add them in later posts. Like more symptoms and how this is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment