Pages

Monday 19 November 2018

Off My Meds!!

I'm returning back to ADHD. Almost exactly a year ago, I was told I have liver damage. They didn't know what caused it (it's still unclear), and my doctors took me off Concerta immediately. One of the listed side effects is liver damage. From what I have read, it's very rare to happen after years of taking it, it's more likely to happen just after starting. Normally it settles down after being off Concerta for few months.

But away from my liver. So they took me off my stimulants. I was lucky and unlucky that at this time, I left my job. Lucky that I didn't need the stimulants for work, unlucky that well finding jobs that I can do without stimulants isn't really possible. I wouldn't have been able to continue my work without them anyway.
So since then, I have needed to manage all my symptoms. I have gotten new symptoms from all the stress from my liver condition being diagnosed. I can manage home life somewhat ok without my stimulants. My home is messy, things don't get done quickly and I often forget, well everything. But I have food, I do clean when I remember. I keep active since I know it keeps my symptoms away a bit. But trying to find a job is impossible. I cannot focus enough on writing applications. I forget what I'm supposed to write, and I remember all the good stuff, after I've posted my application. My applications are mess anyway. I am not good writing them on a good day, it's impossible on a bad day. Meaning without my medication. I know what I am good at, and what I am capable and I know for certain that I am not capable of London standard without my medication. I am good when I am on stimulants, but without them, my head is full of chaos. With the stress, I am drowning in it. And it's how it is. There is nothing I can do about it. I eat healthy, so I get energy throughout the day steadily. I exercise as much I can since it helps with stabilising my brain. I try everything to manage my stress and try to focus on other things. I do crocheting, which for me is best form of mindfulness. Learning new techniques helps to keep my mind occupied. But I don't have much control of anything anymore, least of all my own brain.

I did manage to get a part time job doing something I have done before, but I notice that I am not as good at it as I used to be. I miss stuff, I make mistakes and at the end of the day I am often quite frustrated with myself. But at least I get enough money to survive to the next day. Which is all I can hope at this point.

And the reason why I am not on medication at the moment is that my GP has requested medication review from mental health team and I am waiting to hear from them. I expect I will continue to wait another several months, before I hear anything from them. The waiting list is very long. I expect I will end up waiting for over a year to get an appointment, and I was referred during the summer. Hopefully I will have my appointment year from now! Until then, I just have to hope I manage to get enough money to get food and some extra so I can continue crocheting to keep sane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment